Portokalopita (Orange Phyllo Pie)
Instead of raisins, try dried cranberries in this dish.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 2 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 large oranges, sliced
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 package phyllo, thawed, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 5 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. orange liqueur
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup raisins
- Heat 1 cup of sugar and the water in a medium pot over medium-high heat until it boils, and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the orange slices, and cook for 30 minutes or until the oranges soften and begin to look translucent. Remove the orange slices and discard them. Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature and reserve it.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the bottom and sides of a 13" × 9" baking pan with 1 tablespoon of butter. Open the phyllo package, and cover sheets with a slightly damp tea towel so they don’t dry out. In a small bowl, combine ½ cup of sugar and the cinnamon.
- Brush a phyllo sheet with melted butter, and sprinkle the surface with some of the cinnamon-sugar. Loosely fold about 1 inch of phyllo from the bottom over the cinnamon-sugar and lightly pinch the right and left ends. Continue to loosely fold, over and under so it looks like ruffled curtains, and lightly pinch the ends together. Set the folded phyllo sheet on the baking pan, ruffles facing up. Repeat the process with seven or eight more sheets. Set them on the pan leaning against each other until the pan is full. Keep the remaining phyllo sheets covered. Bake for 10 minutes. Let the phyllo cool to room temperature. Leave the oven on.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and the remaining sugar (not the cinnamon sugar). Whisk in the orange zest, vanilla, and orange liqueur. Whisk in the salt, baking powder, oil, and yogurt. Stir in the raisins. Shred the remaining phyllo sheets with your hands. Stir them into the yogurt mixture. Spread the mixture over the baked phyllo.
- Bake the pie on the middle rack for 40 minutes or until golden. Immediately ladle the reserved syrup over the portokalopita. Allow the phyllo pie to cool before serving.