Portuguese Caldo Verde
This traditional soup is made with linguiça, a garlic and paprika flavored Portuguese sausage. If you can't find it, use Spanish chorizo or hot Italian sausage..
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. kale
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ lb. linguiça, sliced
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- Trim the large ribs from the kale. Slice it into thin strips. Put the kale strips into a bowl of cold water and soak for 1 hour; drain well.
- Add the oil to a 6-quart Dutch oven and bring to temperature over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until transparent, about 7 minutes. Add the linguiça and potatoes; sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and drained kale; bring to a boil. Lower the heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve hot with bread.