Portuguese Salt-Cod Fritters
Try frying these in olive oil, like they do in Spain with croquetas, for a different flavor. Serve with lemon wedges.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. salt cod
- 1 cup milk
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Soak cod in cold water overnight, changing it several times. Drain and rinse. Simmer the cod in milk and water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain the cod, separate it into flakes, and remove any bone or skin.
- Cut the potatoes into chunks, put them in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and mash the potatoes.
- Put the mashed potatoes, prepared cod, onion, garlic, parsley, pepper, and egg in a mixing bowl and mix well with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer or a wooden spoon. Form the mixture into balls.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or heavy pot to 365°F.
- Fry the balls until golden brown, drain on paper towels, and serve hot.