Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots
This hearty winter dish goes wonderfully with risotto. The combination creates quite a feast!
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 beef chuck roast (4 lbs.)
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 gallon beef stock
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Heat the oil to medium-high temperature in a heavy-bottomed ovenproof Dutch oven. Sear the meat on all sides. Add the onions, carrots, and potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, bring to a boil, and cook until the liquid is reduce by half the volume, about 10 minutes. Add the stock, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes. Cover the pan and place in the oven. Braise for 4 hours.
- Add the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook for 30 more minutes with cover ajar. Serve.