Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 beef chuck roast (4 lbs.)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the beef and brown well on all sides. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the juice and Worcestershire sauce and pour over the meat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions to the Dutch oven. Cover and simmer an additional 1½ hours, or until meat is fork-tender and vegetables are done.
- Remove the meat and vegetables to a platter and serve with natural braising juices on the side.