Pot Roast with Vegetables and Gravy
As a family dinner, this can’t be beat. The leftovers can be reheated with gravy and served over noodles or toast for a quick lunch or supper.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lbs. beef bottom round roast, trimmed of fat
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 large Vidalia onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 small turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 piece (1") gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 can (13 oz.) beef broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Wondra flour
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the beef 4 minutes per side. Remove beef from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, turnips, and gingerroot to the pan and cook, stirring until wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 3 hours. Stir in Wondra flour and cook 10 minutes more.