This puréed soup tastes like spring! It can also be made with other green vegetables, like sugar-snap peas or baby peas.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 new potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- In large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add scallions, sweet onion, and garlic; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Then add potatoes; cook and stir for 5 minutes longer.
- Snap the asparagus spears and discard ends. Chop asparagus into 1-inch pieces and add to pot along with stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, purée soup in 4 batches in blender or food processor, then return to pot and continue with recipe.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme, pepper, and half-and-half; heat until steaming and serve. You can also serve it chilled.