Potato Cheese Casserole
Potatoes and cheese are natural partners; in a low-fat recipe, they’re even more delicious together!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 3 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Place potatoes in large saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2½-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, beat cottage cheese until smooth.
- In a small pan, heat olive oil; add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese along with flour, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Layer one-third of the sliced potatoes in prepared baking dish. Cover with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with potatoes. Pour milk evenly over the potato-cheese layers; dot with butter. Bake until casserole is bubbly and lightly browned, about 35 to 40 minutes.