Potato Cheese Chowder
You can make this easy soup vegetarian by omitting the bacon and using vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 9 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced
- In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, crumble, and refrigerate. Drain skillet but do not wipe out. Add butter; cook onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place in 5-quart slow cooker along with potatoes, broth, water, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours until potatoes are tender. Using in immersion blender, puree the soup, or work in batches to puree the soup in a stand blender.
- In small bowl, combine cornstarch with cream and mix well. Stir into soup. Cover and cook on high for 20 to 30 minutes until thickened. Serve topped with cheese, scallions, and reserved bacon