Potato Curry (Assami Ril Do)
Serve this tangy potato curry with Indian flat breads such as naan or roti. Ginger-garlic paste is sold at some Indian markets and online.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 10 small baby potatoes, peeled
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 dried red chili, roughly pounded
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- ½ cup plain yogurt, whipped
- ½ cup water
- Table salt, to taste
- Boil the potatoes in water to cover until just fork-tender; drain. Lightly prick the potatoes with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on high. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for about 10 seconds. Add the dried red chili and turmeric; mix well. Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the water and lower the heat. Cover, and cook for about 20 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve hot.