Potato Gnocchi with Tomato Basil Sauce
To obtain the optimum flavor, toss the cooked gnocchi in a sauté pan with the sauce for 1 to 2 minutes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium potato
- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 oz. Romano cheese, grated
- 3 large basil leaves, torn
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the whole potato and boil until thoroughly cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Using a dough hook set at low speed (or your hands), mix together the potato, flours, egg whites, stock, salt, and oil for 1 minute until all the Ingredients are thoroughly incorporated; let the dough rest for approximately 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough using both hands to form a long ½"-thick “rope,” then slice into 1"-long pieces. Place the pasta in salted boiling water and cook until al dente, then drain.
- Heat the sauce. To serve, ladle the sauce over the top of the gnocchi, then sprinkle with cheese, basil, and black pepper.