This simple recipe for potato latkes comes together in less than 40 minutes. Want a little less work to go with your potatoes? Try out our Easiest Scalloped Potatoes Ever.
Serves: 12Prep: 10 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 large Simple Truth Organic™ Cage Free Large Brown Eggs Grade A, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Peel potatoes and coarsely grate by hand, transferring to a large bowl of cold water. Soak potatoes 1 to 2 minutes after last batch is added to water, then drain well in a colander.
- Spread grated potatoes and onion on a kitchen towel and roll up jelly-roll style. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible. Transfer potato mixture to a bowl and stir in egg and salt.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a 12" nonstick skillet over moderately high heat. Working in batches of 4 latkes, spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading into 3" rounds with a fork.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes. Turn latkes over and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes more.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt. Add more oil to skillet as needed. Keep latkes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in oven.