For added color and flavor, garnish each individual serving with chives before serving.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, finely chopped (white parts only)
- 1 lb. red potatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. broccoli florets and stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces, plus 4 large florets
- 5 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add the potatoes and broccoli, and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover partially and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. In a blender or food processor, purée the soup. Add salt and pepper. Reheat to serving temperature.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with sliced broccoli florets.