Potato, Leek and Horseradish Bake
This simple baked dish elevates traditional mashed potatoes to an entirely new level of warmth, creaminess, and comfort. Sautéed leeks add a touch of lightness and prepared horseradish brings just a hint of vinegary heat.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large leek, greens removed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup half and half
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup baby spinach
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 2 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and add the potatoes. Cook until easily pierced with a fork, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan. Add leek and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drain potatoes and add salt, pepper, half and half, and 4 tablespoons butter. Mash gently until potatoes are well combined and lumps are gone. Fold in leeks, Parmesan, spinach, cream cheese, and horseradish.
- Transfer mixture to a medium baking dish. Top with panko and remaining butter. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.