Potato Pancakes (Latkes)
For a more “gourmet” touch, replace the yogurt and sour cream topping with whipped cream infused with an apple liqueur.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 medium russet or purple potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, peeled and mince
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil, or as needed
- 2 Tbsp. freshly chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup natural yogurt
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg, stirring in the salt and pepper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the potatoes and onion with the lightly beaten egg and the flour.
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Carefully add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the potato mixture. Use a spatula to gently press the mixture down into the shape of a small patty. Brown briefly, then turn and brown the other side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Combine sour cream, yogurt, and chives in a small bowl. Serve the latkes with the sour cream mixture.