Potato Pumpkin Soup
Your next Halloween pumpkin can become a delicious and economical soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 small pumpkin (½ lbs.), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup plus 2 Tbsp. light cream, divided
- Place pumpkin and potatoes in a large bowl and add enough water to cover the vegetables by 2". Let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and dry the vegetables with a clean dishtowel. In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the pumpkin and potatoes for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Add hot broth to the soup pot with the pumpkin and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Allow the vegetables to cool slightly. In a blender or food processor, purée the vegetables. Return the reserved liquid and the vegetables to the pot. Add salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes.
- Thicken, if necessary, by boiling briefly with the cover off. Reduce heat to low and stir in ⅔ cup cream. Ladle soup into individual bowls and drizzle with remaining cream.