Savory, fluffy, and golden—potato rolls are a culinary classic, and are perfect for holiday feasts.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. dried minced onion
- 1 envelope or 2¼ tsp. Rapid Rise yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup mashed potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, onion, yeast, and salt. Heat milk, mashed potatoes, and oil in a saucepan to 120°–130°F. Remove from heat and stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 8–10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise 10 minutes. Cut dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 9" rope. Form each rope into a “6” shape. Push the long end of the “6” underneath and through the loop to create a knot. Tuck the ends back under the roll. Place rolls 2" apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30–40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush tops lightly with beaten egg. Bake 15–20 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.