Potato Soup with Roasted Cauliflower
This vegetarian soup replaces traditional bacon with fried scallions and adds sweet potato for sweetness. The roasted cauliflower gives it a rich, irresistible flavor.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 8 scallions, sliced and divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 medium head cauliflower, cored and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat two tablespoons oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add scallion and fry, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to move the scallions to a paper towel. Lightly sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Add onion, thyme, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper to the pot and sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute until the garlic is fragrant. Add the potatoes and sweet potato, broth, and bay leaf and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are very soft, about 35 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- While the potatoes cook, toss the cauliflower florets with the remaining oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper. Spread evenly on a baking pan and roast until lightly brown at the edges, about 25 minutes.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and milk to the jar of a blender. Remove the center from the lid of the blender to vent and cover the top with a towel. Purée until smooth, then transfer to a bowl. Add half the potatoes and stock to the blender and purée until smooth. Return the puréed cauliflower and potato to the soup pot. Bring back to a simmer over medium heat and add the remaining scallions.
- Serve each bowl topped with a tablespoon of sour cream, two tablespoons cheese, and about a tablespoon of fried scallions.