Potato and Vegetable Broth
If broth is not going to be used immediately, cool it to room temperature by immersing the pot in a bath of cold water; refrigerate or freeze promptly.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 3 baking potatoes
- 1 large leek
- 6 carrots
- 6 stalks of celery
- 3 medium zucchini
- 4 large onions
- ½ lb. fresh mushrooms
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 10 peppercorns
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
- 8 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- Without peeling them, clean, then chop the potatoes, leek (white light green parts only), carrots, celery, and zucchini. Quarter the onions and mushrooms; do not discard any parts. Slice off the very top of the garlic head, just enough to expose the tops of the cloves.
- Place all the ingredients in a soup pot. Add enough cold water to cover the vegetables; then add more water until its level is about 6 inches higher.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 1¾ hours. Squeeze the liquid out of the vegetables, adding the liquid to the broth. Strain.