Potatoes “Au Gratin” Casserole
You’ll never miss the boxed version after trying these easy potatoes!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Arrange half the potato slices in a casserole or baking dish. Layer half of the onions on top of the potatoes.
- Melt the margarine over low heat and add flour, stirring to make a paste. Add soy milk, onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and salt, stirring to combine. Stir over low heat until sauce has thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour half of sauce over potatoes and onions, then layer the remaining potatoes and onions on top of the sauce. Pour the remaining sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with paprika and black pepper and top with bread crumbs or French-fried onions.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes and then an additional 10 minutes uncovered.