Potatoes au Gratin
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk and cook 5 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly.
- Grease a 2 to 2 1⁄2-quart deep-sided casserole dish with the remaining butter. Make three layers of potatoes, topping the first and second layers with 1⁄4 cup of the cheese, and topping the third layer with the remaining 1⁄2 cup. Carefully pour the white sauce over all. Bake uncovered about 1 hour and 15 minutes.