Potluck Chickpea Curry
This mildly spiced stew is packed with flavor and nutrients. Potatoes, cauliflower and chickpeas are cooked in a rich tomato-coconut milk sauce flavored with onions, garlic, ginger, and curry powder.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, divided
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic, ginger root, and curry powder. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, coconut milk, and 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Stir in 1½ cup water. Bring to a simmer, then add potatoes, cauliflower, and chickpeas. Cover and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until potatoes and cauliflower are tender.
- Serve with a sprinkling of cilantro leaves and warm flatbread or rice.