Pots de Crème au Chocolat (Chocolate Cream Pots)
Petits pots de crème are small pots of custard that you serve at the end of the meal. They make a light dessert, and are perfect after a heavy meal.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ lb. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. In a shallow baking dish, pour cold water to a depth of 1" and place it in the oven.
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, warm the milk. It should be very warm, but never boil. Stop the heat and cover when it starts to bubble.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg yolks and add the sugar. Whisk steadily until the mixture whitens. Pour ⅓ of the warm milk into the bowl, and whisk continuously until well combined. Then pour the whole mixture back in the saucepan containing the rest of the warm milk.
- Warm the egg and milk mixture over medium-low heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir continuously until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and reserve.
- In a large bowl, put the chocolate chips. Put a colander on top and drain the egg and milk mixture through it. Using a whisk, whisk the contents of the bowl slightly until the chocolate melts. Spoon off the foam at the surface. Ladle the mixture into ramekins, then put the ramekins in the shallow baking dish in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Let it cool down at room temperature and then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Serve cold.