Pressure Cooker Beef Roast Dinner
Serve this roast with a tossed salad and warm buttered dinner rolls.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 rump roast (3 lbs.)
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 3 cups beef broth
- Add the oil to the pressure cooker and bring it to temperature over medium-high heat. Add the celery and carrots. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the onion, stir it into the celery and carrots, and push to the edges of the pan. Put the meat in the pan, fat side up. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown for 5 minutes and then turn the roast fat side down. Spread the mustard over the browned top of the roast.
- Add the thyme and spoon some of the sautéed celery, carrots, and onion over the top of the roast.
- Pour in the broth. Add water, if needed, to bring the liquid level with the ingredients in the pressure cooker; remember not to fill the pressure cooker more than two-thirds full.
- Lock the lid. Bring the cooker to high pressure; lower the heat to maintain pressure for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and let the pan set for 15 minutes to release the pressure; use the quick-release method to release any remaining pressure.
- Move the roast and and carrots to a serving platter.