Pressure Cooker Hoppin’ John
Hoppin’ John is a Southern dish traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 lb. Andouille sausage, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (15 oz.) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the sausage in the pressure cooker over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the black-eyed peas, rice, and chicken broth.
- Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure; maintain pressure for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Remove lid and stir. Add salt and pepper.