Pressure Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
You can speed up the process by cooking and stirring the cheese into the macaroni over very low heat until it’s melted. Then follow the directions in Step 2, except preheat the broiler and brown the breadcrumbs under the broiler.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz. Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 oz. Colby cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Bring the oil to temperature in the pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the garlic; sauté for 30 seconds. Add the macaroni and stir to coat it in the oil. Stir in the broth, salt, and pepper. Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure; maintain pressure for 6 minutes. Quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Drain the macaroni. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch ovenproof baking dish. Stir in the milk, cream, and cheeses. Mix the breadcrumbs together with the melted butter and sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheeses are melted and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve.