Pressure Cooker Plum Sauce
Plum sauce is used as a dip for fried foods in Chinese cuisine. It is also good as a marinade for chicken, duck, or pork. Make this version of the sauce in a pressure cooker.
Serves: 32Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 cups plums (about 3 lbs.), pitted and cut in half
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- Add the plums, onion, water, ginger, and garlic to the pressure cooker. Lock the lid into place and bring to low pressure; maintain for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and quick-release the pressure.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the contents of the pressure cooker before passing it through a fine mesh strainer. Stir in sugar, vinegar, coriander, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and cloves. Lock the lid into place and bring to low pressure; maintain for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and quick-release the pressure. Remove the lid and check the sauce; it should have the consistency of applesauce. If it isnʼt thick enough, place the uncovered pressure cooker over medium heat and simmer until thick and viscous.
- Store in the refrigerator.