Pressure Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
For this version of scalloped potatoes, make a béchamel sauce and steam sliced potatoes in a pressure cooker before tipping them into a baking dish and baking to a golden brown.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk, heated
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Soften 1⁄2 cup butter over medium heat in a pressure cooker. Add flour and stir to create a roux. Gradually whisk in the warm milk until there are no lumps. Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure. Once the pressure is achieved, turn the heat to low and allow to cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Remove the lid and stir in 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Transfer sauce to a large heat proof measuring cup or bowl and keep warm.
- Clean the pressure cooker and return it to the stove. Place potatoes and 1 cup water in the pressure cooker. Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure. Once the pressure is achieved, turn the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Drain the potatoes into a colander.
- Set oven to 400°F. Grease a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Arrange potatoes in prepared baking dish and cover with cheese, then top with reserved sauce. Bake 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbling.