Pressure Cooker Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
For this vegan macaroni and cheese, cook the pasta in a pressure cooker with sautéed onions, tip it into a baking dish with soymilk and three types of vegan cheese. Top with breadcrumbs and bake until golden brown.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. vegan margarine, divided
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups dried pasta
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 4 oz. vegan Cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. vegan mozzarella
- 4 oz. vegan colby
- ¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon margarine.
- In a pressure cooker over medium heat, heat oil. Add the onion; sauté for 3 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the garlic; sauté for 30 seconds. Add the pasta and stir to coat it in the oil. Stir in the stock, salt, and pepper. Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure; maintain pressure for 6 minutes.
- Quick-release the pressure and remove the lid. Drain pasta and onions and place in prepared baking dish. Stir in the milk and cheeses.
- In a small bowl, melt 2 tablespoons margarine in a microwave. Add breadcrumbs and mix well. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over the pasta. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheeses are melted and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve.