Profiteroles au Chocolat (Chocolate Profiteroles)
Save to My Recipes
This might be the best way to enjoy a pastry puff! Profiteroles au Chocolat combine the airy magic of puffs with chocolate and whipped cream
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutes
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup butter, diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ lb. dark chocolate
- 1 lb. sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a medium saucepan, add water, milk, butter, salt, and sugar, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Remove saucepan from heat as soon as it boils, stir continuously, and pour in all the flour. Stir firmly until it’s elastic and doesn’t stick to the bottom of the saucepan anymore. Put pan back on low heat for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Then remove from heat. In a large bowl, pour the flour and milk mixture, and stir in the eggs, one by one. Stir continuously until the dough is combined.
- Put a parchment paper sheet on a baking sheet. Using a pastry bag, or just two teaspoons, shape small mounds of dough (about 1" wide) and space them well on the parchment paper, at least ½" apart. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 10 minutes. Once baked, remove from the oven.
- In a small saucepan, bring the whipping cream to a boil over medium-high heat. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted into the cream and remove from the heat.
- Cut off the top of each puff one-third of the way down. Using a pastry bag or a teaspoon, fill the inside with sweetened whipped cream and put the top back on.
- Pour chocolate sauce over each puff. Serve immediately.