Profiteroles are one of life’s true delights. Made from pâte à choux (the basis of cream puffs and eclairs) and your favorite ice cream, you’ll revel in the applause of your unsuspecting dinner guests when they sample your deceptively difficult dessert. Shhh . . . it’s really quite simple!
Serves: 18Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine water, butter, sugar, and salt; stir until butter is completely melted. Reduce heat and add in the flour all at once. Stir quickly to incorporate the flour until mixture is smooth and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Dump the mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on low speed for 5 minutes in order to cool before adding the eggs. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute between each. Dough will be smooth and shiny when ready.
- Using a pastry bag or ice cream scoop, pipe or scoop rounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Moisten your finger and smooth any rough edges or points on the mounds of dough before baking.
- Bake the puffs for 30 minutes, or until puffed and browned. Turn off the oven and leave them inside for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Just before serving, cut puffs in half and fill with ice cream. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.