Dip cubes of bread into the fondue pot or individual serving bowls.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. provolone cheese
- 1¼ cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup light cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced and toasted
- Finely dice the provolone cheese. Place the cheese and the milk in a saucepan and leave for 1 hour.
- Heat the milk and cheese on low heat, without bringing to a boil, until the cheese turns creamy. Whisk in the egg yolks, half-and-half, and butter. Keep whisking until the mixture thickens, but not to the point where the egg starts scrambling. Stir in the nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a fondue pot and set on the burner. Serve with the toasted Italian bread for dipping.