Puffed Bread (Puri)
To enjoy these, serve them hot, before they deflate. Refrigerate rolled puris for about 15 minutes before frying; they will consume less oil and be crispier.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 cups vegetable oil, divided
- In a bowl, combine the wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; mix well. Add the water slowly, kneading as you go. Continue to add a little water at a time and knead for about 4 to 5 minutes until you have a smooth dough that is not sticky. If the dough sticks to your fingers, add a little bit of vegetable oil and continue to knead.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth or a plastic cover and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces. Roll into balls and cover with a damp cloth.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a deep pan to 375°. Lightly flour a clean work surface and a rolling pin. Roll out each puri into a 3" circle.
- Deep-fry 1 puri at a time. Lower it into the oil and use the back of a slotted spoon to press down lightly on the puri. This will make it puff up. Turn it over and fry for another 20 seconds or until golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the puri from the oil and drain on paper towels. Continue until all the puris are rolled out and fried. Serve immediately.