Use fresh pumpkin in place of the canned pumpkin purée when the ingredient is in season. You’ll need 3
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 5 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cans (15 oz.) pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) pale ale
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, add the pumpkin purée, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and vegetable broth. Stir well. Cover and cook over low heat for 4 hours.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then process in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the slow cooker, add the beer, and cook for 1 hour over low heat. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg just before serving.