Pumpkin and Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
These cheesy potatoes are a fun twist on a classic dish. They’ve got a sweet hint of pumpkin that ties in with the cheddar cheese, and it’s all baked to perfection.
Serves: 5Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk, slightly warmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼” thick slices
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk, then add the salt. Bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the pumpkin puree.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared dish, pour half of the sauce over the potato layer. Sprinkle ¾ cup of cheese over the potato and sauce, then repeat for the next layer.
- Cook for 1 hour, until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is golden brown. Cover with foil if the top starts to brown too quickly.
- Serve warm and garnish with parsley.