Pumpkin and Mushroom Chicken
After a day in the crisp autumn air, this warm pumpkin and mushroom chicken recipe will be sure to warm you. It’s full of fall flavors and is served over a fall favorite, mashed potatoes. OptUP score: 72
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 container (24 oz.) Kroger® Homestyle Mashed Potatoes, cooked according to package instructions
- Butterfly each chicken breast, then cut in half. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Place chicken in a large plastic bag with a resealable top and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix thoroughly to coat the fillets. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter, then add the chicken fillets. Cook for 2 minutes, then turn each fillet and continue cooking for 2 more minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the Dutch oven. Add the mushrooms and onions. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Remove to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot. Add the pumpkin or butternut squash and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the chicken and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook over medium low heat for 3 minutes, or until pumpkin or butternut squash is tender.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the broth from the pot into a bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of almond milk and mix. Add the remaining almond milk and mix to combine. Pour the almond milk mixture into the pot with the chicken. Add the parsley, mushrooms and onions into the pot. Cook for 1 minute, until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Serve over warmed mashed potatoes.
- Refrigerate leftovers.