Add a generous amount of cream cheese to these pumpkin bagels for a great breakfast, or, layer with deli meats and veggies for a spiced-up lunch!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 packets instant yeast
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup pumpkin purée
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Place warm water, yeast, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Stir until combined, then allow to sit for 5 minutes to activate the yeast. Add in pumpkin, spices, salt, and 2 cups of the flour. Stir to make a sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and add in 1⁄2 cup of flour at a time, Knead until all of the flour is absorbed. Add extra flour as needed. Knead dough for about 10 minutes, until elastic.
- Coat a clean bowl with oil and add the dough. Cover with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, punch down and shape into 12 balls. Make a ring out of the dough by pushing your thumb through the center of each ball to form a small hole and stretching it into a circle. Place the bagels on greased baking sheets and cover again with greased plastic wrap. Let rise for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Fill a large pot about 2⁄3 full with water and bring to a boil. Drop bagels into boiling water. Cook for about 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on clean dishtowels.
- Place boiled bagels on baking sheets, brush with egg wash, and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.