Pumpkin Cake with Maple Glaze
Packed with vitamin A and beta-carotene, pumpkins are great for eyesight and prevention of cancer in later years.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and oil. Beat at medium speed until well blended, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and pumpkin.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir carefully with a wire whisk. Fold flour mixture into pumpkin mixture.
- Spray a Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour added. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean and dry.
- To prepare glaze, place confectioners' sugar and whipped cream cheese in a bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Add remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla and maple syrup and beat well.
- After cake is removed from oven and cooled for 15 minutes, drizzle cake with glaze.