Pumpkin Cheese Bread
Pumpkin puree and sharp cheddar cheese strike the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavor in this rustic loaf.
Serves: 8Prep: 2 hours 15 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 3 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 1⁄2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 package (¼ oz.) rapid rise yeast
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup plus 1 tsp. water, room temperature, divided
- 3⁄4 cup 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, yeast, salt and cayenne. Add 1 cup water, pumpkin and cheese. Mix until well combined. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until it forms a smooth ball. Add up to ¼ cup more flour if needed.
- Lightly grease a large bowl and sprinkle with flour. Add the ball of dough turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, take the dough out of the refrigerator and transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Flatten the dough to a rectangle with your hands.
- Use the butter to coat a 9”x 5” loaf pan. Roll the dough up into a cylindrical shape and place seam side down in the loaf pan.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour or until almost doubled in volume. When the dough has risen for 35 minutes preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Just before baking, make 3 angled slashes on the top of the loaf with a sharp knife. Combine the egg yolk and remaining 1 teaspoon water and brush the loaf with the egg-water wash.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.