Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookie Sandwiches
The addition of molasses adds a real Southern bite to these pumpkin cookies. If you have a favorite cream cheese frosting recipe, use it here, but the prepared frosting in a can is fine too.
Makes: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 3 cups pumpkin purée
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups prepared cream cheese frosting
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the sugars, molasses, oil, and melted butter. Add the pumpkin and combine thoroughly. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. Pour the flour mixture over the wet ingredients and slowly whisk to combine. Do not overmix. Slowly stir in chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place entire mixer bowl in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes while oven preheats, then use a cookie scoop to make 2-inch round cookies on prepared sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- When cookies are completely cool, spread frosting on half the cookies and top with the remaining cookies.