Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzels
Homemade cinnamon-sugar pretzels are given a fall-inspired upgrade with the addition of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices.
Serves: 8Prep: 1 hour 30 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (¼ oz.) active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup plus 3 Tbsp. plus ½ tsp. sugar, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add yeast, ½ teaspoon sugar and ½ cup warm water (110°F-115°F). Let sit 10 minutes, until foamy. Stir in pumpkin puree, olive oil, salt, pumpkin pie spice and 3 tablespoons sugar until combined.
- Slowly add flour until dough comes together. Knead about 10 minutes. Cover bowl with kitchen towel; let sit in a warm area at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In shallow microwave-safe bowl, place remaining 2 cups water. Microwave until just boiling. Stir in baking soda. Set aside.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; divide into 8 equal balls. Roll into 16” ropes and twist into a pretzel shape. Dip each pretzel into baking soda bath, then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown. In shallow bowl, stir together remaining ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon. Brush pretzels with melted butter; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.