Pumpkin Crumb Bars
These bars are the best of cookies, pie, and a crumble all combined!
Serves: 18Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1⁄2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, combine 1⁄2 cup butter, 1⁄2 cup sugar, 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Mix until the butter and sugar mixture is smooth, then add 1 cup flour and mix until the dough forms a smooth ball. Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven to cool and reduce the oven to 350°F.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine 1⁄3 cup flour, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder. Add the eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix on low speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup flour, 1⁄2 cup sugar, and 1⁄4 cup butter. With your fingers, rub the butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is thoroughly combined.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture over the cookie base, then evenly sprinkle the crumble over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the bars are golden brown and set. Cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving.