Pumpkin Nut Bread
A staple of fall, this bread is sure to keep out the autumn chill.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin purée
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment.
- Beat butter and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add eggs one at a time. Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt. Set aside. Stir together pumpkin and milk and add to creamed mixture alternately with flour mixture. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Sprinkle the top evenly with granulated sugar and bake 20 minutes, until risen. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake 30 minutes longer, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tent with foil if loaf browns too quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on a rack.