Pumpkin Quinoa with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Pumpkin puree and Parmesan create a thick sauce that, when paired with the quinoa, is hearty and soul satisfying. The maple glazed Brussels sprouts add a nice bite to the dish and make it fantastic for the fall holidays.
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 5 slices precooked bacon, chopped (you can use uncooked bacon and have it cook with the Brussels sprouts, but I prefer my bacon more well done)
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 bags (10 oz.) of frozen, precooked quinoa
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Clean and cut the Brussels sprouts and add to a cookie sheet.
- Chop the bacon and add to the cookie sheet.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and maple syrup over the Brussels sprouts and bacon and toss to mix well.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for approximately 12 minutes until Brussels sprouts are tender and leaves have crisped up.
- Cook both bags of quinoa in microwave, per package instructions, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium and sauté onion until transparent, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin puree, chicken stock, and salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until fully melted.
- Remove from heat and add quinoa, and stir to combine.
- Top with roasted Brussels sprouts.
- Tip: Using frozen quinoa keeps this dish from becoming too involved.