Pumpkin Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Cream Sauce and Parmesan
Pumpkin Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Cream Sauce and Parmesan has sweet hints of pumpkin and fragrant sage with a bit of cream. It’s almost too good to believe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 egg
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan, finely shredded
- To make the pasta dough, make a mound of the flour on your work surface then make a well in the center.
- Crack the eggs in the center of the well and beat with a fork.
- Gradually mix the eggs into the flour, eventually incorporating all the flour.
- Knead the dough, adding additional flour to the work surface as needed, until firm and smooth. The dough should not stick to your hands, only itself.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap and then let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- For the pumpkin filling, drain excess liquid from pumpkin puree using a mesh strainer or paper towel.
- Combine the strained pumpkin puree with the nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground pepper.
- To make the ravioli, divide the dough into fourths. Working with one quarter at a time, roll the dough into thin sheet, about 6” wide by 18” long. This piece will make 6 ravioli. If using a pasta machine, use the 4th or 5th setting.
- Lay out the thin sheet on a heavily floured counter.
- Place 6 evenly spaced scoops of pumpkin puree, 2 teaspoons each, on one half of the dough.
- Use your fingers to dab water along all the edges.
- Fold the other half of the dough over on top of the pumpkin scoops, gently pressing the edges to seal.
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the pasta sheet into individual ravioli.
- Place the complete ravioli on a parchment-lined baking sheet and continue with the remaining dough.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the 1/4 teaspoon salt and fresh sage.
- Leave over the heat, stirring often, until the butter begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the heavy cream. Stir in the Parmesan and then toss over pasta.
- Boil the ravioli for 3-5 minutes or until they float. Carefully remove them from the water and top with brown butter cream sauce.