Pumpkin, Sage, and Sausage Risotto
The creaminess of the risotto paired with the warm pumpkin flavor combine to make a dream of a dinner. Swap out sausage for lean ground turkey or ground beef to change this dish to your liking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ lb. mild ground sausage
- 8 fresh sage leaves, rolled and sliced into long ribbons, divided
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- In a separate heavy-bottomed pot, heat butter over medium heat. Sauté onions 8 minutes until translucent. Add in ground sausage and fry 10 minutes until no longer pink. Stir in half of the sage. Add in the rice and allow it to slightly brown, around 2 minutes.
- Begin adding 2 cups hot stock to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. As the rice absorbs the stock, continue to the remaining 2 cups, ½ cup at a time, until nearly all of the stock has been used and the risotto is very creamy. Stir in pumpkin and remaining sage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Serve immediately.