Pumpkin Seed Bread
Save to My Recipes
The distinct flavor of pumpkin seeds sets this nutty bread apart.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds (pepitos)
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet in a single layer, and toast until lightly golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Seeds will plump and pop. Set aside to cool. Coat a 9" × 5" loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Beat together eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and butter, then add dry ingredients and mix in thoroughly. Fold in pumpkin seeds.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Sprinkle the top evenly with brown sugar, and bake 20 minutes, until risen. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake 30 minutes longer, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tent with foil if loaf browns too quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on a rack.