This beautiful little entrée is wonderful for entertaining. Serve it with a crisp green salad and some breadsticks.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (13 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray the bottom of a 1-quart soufflé dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place in large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, egg yolk, and thyme until smooth.
- In medium bowl, combine egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form. Stir a spoonful of the beaten egg whites into pumpkin mixture, then fold in remaining egg whites along with the Parmesan cheese. Pour into prepared soufflé dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and bake for another 25 minutes or until soufflé is puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.