Pumpkin Soup with Caraway Seeds
Butternut squash or even acorn squash substitute very well for pumpkin in this soup. Each imparts its own character, making this three recipes in one.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups peeled, cubed pumpkin
- ¼ tsp. whole caraway seeds
- 4½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, pumpkin, and caraway seeds, and sauté, stirring occasionally, 8–10 minutes, until pumpkin becomes tender and begins to brown (some may stick to pan).
- Add stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat purée in batches in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.