Pumpkin Streusel Rolls
Who doesn’t love pumpkin? Here it adds moisture to these crumb-topped and crumb-filled sweet rolls.
Serves: 20Prep: 35 minutesCook: 2 hoursTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups plus 1-2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup butter, divided and cut into pieces
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- For the rolls: In a large bowl. combine 2½ cups of the flour, sugar, lemon zest, salt and yeast; mix well.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, pumpkin and ½ cup butter until hot (120°F to 130°F). Add the hot mixture to the flour mixture and blend at low speed until moistened; scrape bowl.
- Stir in 3-3½ cups of additional flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- On a floured surface, knead in remaining flour (plus additional if needed) until dough is smooth and elastic but not dry, about 6-10 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turn and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Grease a 15”x10”x1” pan.
- For the topping/filling: In a medium bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Cut in the remaining butter, using a fork or pastry blender, until mixture is crumbly.
- Punch dough down several times to remove air bubbles. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 20”x15” rectangle.
- Spoon 2½ cups of the topping/filling evenly over dough; sprinkle with nuts.
- Starting with 20” side, roll up tightly; press edges to seal. Cut into 20 slices and place, cut side down in prepared pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Uncover dough and sprinkle with remaining topping/filling.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and 1-2 Tbsp. milk, adding just enough milk for the desired drizzling consistency. Whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle over warm rolls and allow to cool slightly before enjoying.